Nothing is more frustrating with our work on the streets than leaving a woman behind on the streets that is ready to commit to making a change with her life. Many of the programs offered try to do the impossible in 30 or 60 days. Failure is the norm and the woman is blamed for not succeeding. Today, while celebrating our 18th year of ministry on the streets of Milwaukee, we are excited to announce our plans for CLARE COMMUNITY. This community that we plan to open in January of 2014 is named in honor of St. Clare of Assisi. The vision of CLARE COMMUNITY is that of women growing individually and collectively, while living in community. We seek to empower women by:
- Providing a safe, pleasant home environment based on a community living model;
- Helping residents to live honest, sober and self-sufficient lives;
- Providing educational and vocational opportunities;
- Fostering self-understanding through personal and spiritual growth;
- Providing life-skill building and maintenance education;
- Providing a mechanism for income and asset development through
- Individual Development Accounts; and
- Offering opportunities to work towards economic self-sufficiency in a therapeutic work environment with Gifts for the Journey.
Franciscan Peacemakers has brought together an amazing group of people to help bring CLARE COMMUNITY into existence. Can you help Franciscan Peacemakers sustain this ministry?